Paintblog November 2017

Greetings all, I hope the holidays are finding you well.

So, the last project kind of stalled, so here’s something new.  Unexpectedly, I didn’t document the very beginnings of this piece, but we’ll pick it up as we go along.

What I did was take an old canvas that was never going to work, and covered it with (I thought) raw umber–what I use for black.  I may have used burnt umber instead, as it looks pretty brown.  I painted a couple of shapes at the bottom and top, using titanium white.  Here’s the earliest shot I have.

As you can see, I then did a bunch of detail work in the lower shape, again using raw umber.

The shape at the top of the painting suggested a crashing wave, so I worked toward that goal.

Added some detail work to that–

I then wondered if these two areas could be connected by the middle.  Something suggested the water beneath the crashing waves, blending into what would become the “sea floor” in the bottom window.  So I set to work with that.

Then, using raw umber, I built up into the green so that the two would blend.  Added some yellow to the green for highlighting at the top, some vague white shapes in the bottom, and a middle streak of black.  I tend not to use black–it stands out too much from the rest of the palatte–but it seemed to work here.  Though you’ll note in the next picture that it doesn’t photograph very well.

And that’s where it stands as of today.  It has actually gone pretty quickly–the above has mostly been done in the last couple of weeks, with pauses to allow for drying time.

As always, thank you for stopping by.

 

 

Advertisements