Well, we all learned a valuable lesson last time, didn’t we? If I use cadmium red, you’re going to get anime reviews until it dries.
Well, no use crying over spilled ink, so let’s move on to the latest episode of Me Versus Paint.
The first thing I want to do is add some more shelving behind the figure to expand the background area. So we apply some tape:
That’d be pretty nice if that was all there was to it, huh? It isn’t, though. So we apply paint:
The above photo was taken when I started to remove the tape (visible to the left of her face), then I remembered to photgraph it. Next, we add more tape so we can put the other dimensions to the shelves. I’m starting to get impatient, so I’m just going to use it to make the bottom border and trust myself to go the right amount without overpainting the shelf front:
And let’s see how that goes:
Now let’s remove the tape, and add some shadows below the new shelves.
Since the shadows turned out a bit bigger than the shadows from the first shelves, I thought I’d expand that first set. It adds a nice sense of deepening space. Speaking of portraying space, let’s add some dimension to the up-and-down bit of the shelving. First, a bit of tape, once again just on one side (because of laziness):
And here’s what we have for the evening’s work:
We’re pretty close to having the background done, which means we can move back to the figure “shortly.” The real relevant area is the background right next to the figure, obviously I can do what needs to be done in the area removed from her.
I’m pleased with the progress so far, but the difficult part is still to come. As always, thanks for visiting.