Lots of work last night, though some of the details may be too small to really make much of an impact in the accompanying photographs.
This is basically what we started with:
I was moved to work on the red and black, again. I started applying some shadows to the right side of the red face, where the greenface would overhang it.
Then, I began detailing the red face. I used small bits of white on ridges and things, which gave the whole thing a wet, organic look. Below, you can see a preliminary version, next to a “final” version. The differences are pretty small (mostly near the bottom of the face), and, as you can see, the image on the right is a bit darker than it ought to be.
As they say at McDonald’s: I’m lovin’ it.
Next, we added some bits to the left side of where red face is emerging, so that it would somewhat match up with green face.
Following that, we changed the shading on the tongue-like structure at red face’s lower right (from the point of view of the viewer, not red face) so that it looks like part of the structure that has hatched.
I used more brushes last night than in many a moon; to be fair, though, that’s because I would clean what I had and suddenly think of something else to add.
Sometime today, I’m going to try and update the Index file for these things (as always, it’s over there on the right side).